2023 Applications – Now closed
All required information must be received at the above address no later than May 15, 2023. Scholarship recipients will be announced no later than June 30, 2023.
The mission of the Bill Nelson Scholarship Endowment (BNSE) is to honor the late Bill Nelson, founder of Rotary Corporation and one of the great leaders of the outdoor power equipment aftermarket industry, by providing educational scholarships annually, and to maintain the endowment from which scholarship funds will be drawn. The BNSE is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization, formed by OPPAA.
The BNSE will award an academic scholarship to an outstanding high school graduate, college undergraduate, or graduate student pursuing any degree, with a preference for those in a business-related field. The award is intended to supplement the educational expenses for students in the upcoming academic year. This year a total of $10,000 will be awarded to two high school and two college students – the top applicant(s) in each school category receiving $3,000 each, and runner ups receiving $2,000 each.
There will be no limitation on who can apply, other than the employee must be working full time upon submission of the application on behalf of themselves or their children, as defined below.
- Full-time employees of OPPAA (Outdoor Power Parts & Accessories Association) member companies.
- Employees’ children, stepchildren, adopted children and/or grandchildren.
- 2023 high school graduates, college undergraduates, or graduate student.
- Part-time employees of OPPAA member companies (excluding their children).
- Previous Bill Nelson Scholarship Endowment applicants (previous winners are ineligible to participate again).
- Submit a digital (preferred) or hard copy of their application.
- Provide an essay describing aspirations in 250 words or less.
- Provide two letters of reference.
- Submit a copy of ACT/SAT scores and school transcripts.
- Provide a recent photograph.
(IF NEEDED) Send Application Materials Via Email or Mail To:
BNSE Trustees: 1605 King St., Alexandria, VA 22314
BNSE Trustees & Staff
Mark Errick, D.E. Errick, Inc.
Sue Chaney, K-C Sales Co., LLC
John Joensen, Kress Commercial
Ed Nelson, Rotary Corporation
Brandon Martin, Vice President, OPPAA
Suzanne Shomers, Vice President of Finance and Administration, OPPAA